Tuesday 26 January 2010

Josef Frank and Astrid's chair

"The home does not need to be planned out in detail, just put together by pieces its inhabitants love."
Josef Frank

That lovely quote is a lead in to my show-and-tell today...... the fabric I bought last week to cover our version of the Astrid chair, which is pictured below. I searched and found nothing in the furnishing section, until my favourite cotton stall had one roll of this gorgeous fabric winking at me. I just felt it was a Josef Frank wannabe.
I loved his fabrics 22 years ago when we lived for a few months north of Stockholm. But at the time I could not justify the expense of buying a few metres. Now at 1290 swedish krone ($180 or £120) a metre I wish I had bought some as an investment!! 
My fabric is not trying to be a copy but is more in the spirit of. 
I think it will look stunning on the Astrid chairs, don't you?





Here is the chair again to remind you!



Josef Frank was an Austrian/Swedish architect, who though born in Austria, moved to Sweden in 1933. For more than 30 years he was the main designer for the renowned Swedish furnishings firm of Svensk Tenn
He advocated a more humane form of Modernism than was popular in the 1930’s, believing that designs needed to respect people’s needs and allow for historical influences. I think eclectic is the perfect word to use to describe his designs which are colourful, imaginative, modern yet look back to a more poetic time. They really are timeless.

"There's nothing wrong with mixing old and new, with combining different furniture styles, colours, patterns. Anything that is in your taste will fuse to form an entire relaxing environment." Josef Frank


Cost is not everything but it does give me a warm feeling inside to know that I paid less than £2 or $3 a metre for my fabric at Beijing's fabric market. In fact maybe I should go back to buy the rest of the roll in case any of you would like some too!

I love how Svensk Tenn describe his fabrics as "concealing a wealth of details to help restore a feeling of harmony and well being."
I think that will be the rationale behind my next quilt!!!

 "Every human needs a certain degree of sentimentality to feel free." 
Josef Frank
What a great thought to leave you with for today.




3 comments:

  1. I had a duvet made from this fabric, California King-sized. My children dropped blackberries onto it; the dry cleaners RUINED it.

    Do you have any idea where I might find another? Even just this fabric by the yard? Cannot seem to locate it on the internet.

    Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated!

    Nola Ne'meth-Odens
    California, USA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a duvet made from this fabric, California King-sized. My children dropped blackberries onto it; the dry cleaners RUINED it.

    Do you have any idea where I might find another? Even just this fabric by the yard? Cannot seem to locate it on the internet.

    Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated!

    Nola Ne'meth-Odens
    California, USA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi nano nano. Try to contact Svensk tenn as I mention in my post. They are in stockholm and will be the best place to start your search.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Quick Linker